This story came to my attention today…
The guardian wrote:
Adidas has cancelled plans for a training shoe with a shackle-like ankle cuff after critics said it resembled a symbol of slavery.
The JS Roundhouse Mid, a hi-top shoe with an orange plastic cuff, was made in collaboration with the fashion designer Jeremy Scott.
The shoe “is nothing more than the designer Jeremy Scott’s outrageous and unique take on fashion and has nothing to do with slavery”, Adidas said in a statement.
“Since the shoe debuted on our Facebook page ahead of its market release in August, Adidas has received both favourable and critical feedback. We apologise if people are offended by the design and we are withdrawing our plans to make them available in the marketplace.”
The shoe was supposed to be a reboot of a classic hi-top trainer with a strap across the middle. A preview was offered months ago, and generated little chatter, but the company recently started promoting it on its Facebook page.
Scott is known as one of fashion’s more outrageous characters. Adidas said he was praised for a style that was “quirky and lighthearted”. The Roundhouse Mid was inspired by a furry toy called My Pet Monster.
Scott said in a statement: “My work has always been inspired by cartoons, toys – my childhood.” Previous collaborations between Scott and Adidas include shoes with Mickey Mouse and panda themes.
Now I am all for exploring with fashion.. But baring in mind that a large amount of Adidas’ customers are coming from an ethnic background, I definitely feel this was a wrong move. I love the idea of modernising the high top trainer.. I say don’t give up… try again.
- Can Shoes Be Racist? Adidas Pulls Sneakers With Shackles (sbnation.com)
- The Actual Inspiration for Jeremy Scott’s Not-’Racist’ Adidas Sneakers: My Pet Monster (observer.com)
- Adidas responds to ‘shackles’ sneaker controversy (thegrio.com)
- Adidas cancels Jeremy Scott ankle-cuff sneaker (khou.com)
- Controversy over new Adidas ‘slave shackle’ basketball shoe (offthebench.nbcsports.com)
- Jeremy Scott Adidas Shackle Face-Palm (shoeblogs.com)
- Adidas cancels Jeremy Scott ankle-cuff sneaker (sfgate.com)
- Rankle Over Ankle-Lock Sneaks Sparks Boycott Call (foxnews.com)Adidas cancels Jeremy Scott ankle-cuff sneaker (todayonline.com)
- Adidas cancels ankle-cuff sneakers (news4jax.com)